Paying the Bills (not.)
1. Sat down to pay bills (ugh.)
2. Opened the computer and scanned email.
3. Saw some interesting Linkedin updates and clicked over to check.
4. Saw an interesting Twitter from an interesting person on Linkedin so clicked over to check that.
5. Twitter had an interesting reference to a cool iPad app… of course now have to go check that.
6. Open iPad and download the app. (Flipboard)
7. Read an article on Flipboard about the top ranked iPad apps for the week. (All games…blah….)
8. Read an article on top ranked Android apps for the week. (AHA!)
9. Find a new “must have” Android app.
10. Use Google Goggles on the Android to take a picture of the bar code from the article on the iPad (yes…using Android to take a pic of the iPad screen. Feels deliciously sacrilegious.)
11. App immediately is found and directly downloaded to the Android (COOL!)
12. Now running the app (Antennas) on the phone to identify the location of all cell towers in my vicinity.
That was the COOLEST PROCESS EVER!!!
But….. was all that necessarily a good thing? What did I really accomplish other than getting distracted from my original goal of paying the bills? Will I ever get that wasted time back? Will I actually pay my bills before I run out of time? Does this speak to my inability to focus on a task at hand and the easy way I am compelled to participate in and to even relish any distraction? I seriously have to consider whether this is a perfect example of what causes my younger staff members to be so constantly distracted and unable to accomplish even some of the simplest things. And if that’s really the case, how do you harness the power of this multi-tasking, distracted behavior and use it for being productive and generally creating “good” in the world?
So coming back around, it just begs the philosophical question…is this “technical gadgetry and social media” stuff, really such a good thing in our lives? Does it improve productivity in any way?
Thinking long and hard. My bills are on autopay. So yes. This is DEFINITELY THE COOLEST THING EVER!! 😉